Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Still Sleepless in Canton!

It's been over 6 weeks since my first post about sleepless in Canton and things have improved a little but not much. She has started to sleep a little longer in her crib at a time but it varies and is not consistent. Friday and Saturday night she slept about 6 hours each night in her crib and we were excited things this was the start of a new trend. But it wasn't! It was a fluke. 'Cause it was only 3 hours the next night and less last night. Sometimes I think she gets cold but mostly I can't pinpoint her lack of sleeping to anything in particular - except her personality! She will still sleep beside us but still wakes up then too and we don't sleep too well when she is there with us. We are about at the point that Riley started sleeping through the night fulltime so we are getting really tired. And Riley didn't have a problem going back to sleep in his crib or cradle after getting up so we were not as tired with him. We can always be hopeful that better sleeping is in store soon but I am not overly hopeful.
On another note, we had a good Christmas and a great New Year. Lots and lots of presents were opened and most were pretty cool. Though we had a 2 year old and a 4 year old that were tired and whiny on Christmas (nephew is the 4 year old), I think everyone had a good time. And New Years was very, very relaxing. I hope everyone else enjoyed the same.
The downside to New Years, though, was more sad news for my friend and her little girl with the cancer. They went in December to St. Judes for a Clinical Trial and arrived back from that right before Christmas. Between Christmas and New Years, they had to be inpatient at Childrens Healthcare in Atlanta for fevers. They were still in the hospital and couldn't return to St. Judes right after the first of the year like they had planned. So they did a catscan here at Childrens and discoverd that the tumor had spread everywhere in 3 weeks. My friend and her husband made the hardest decision that a parent has to make and decided to end treatment for their daughter. They took her home on hospice care the first week of January. The little girl was given 4-6 weeks to live. My friend and her family have been in my thoughts and prayers constantly. Last weekend we had a snowfall here in Canton and some pretty bad icy conditions. We got to play in the snow with Riley - his first real time playing in the snow. I hope my friend did the same with her child. I can not imagine how it feels to know that your child is dying and that there is nothing you can do. She might not make it to her 2nd birthday. I guess you would take one day at a time. You are never, ever prepared as a parent to bury your child. I pray that God gives them the strength to handle this.
Anyway, that is a re-cap for the last 6 weeks or so of our selves. Oh, I am back at work now - been back 2 weeks now. Paleigh is taking bottles of my milk while I am at work but she fights it and is not happy about it. Just another part of having to be a Lawyer (or any type of working person) by Day and Mommy by Night. Until then...
-Lawyer by Day and Mommy by Night

No comments: