Friday, February 24, 2012

Life Work Balance

I used to think this meant that one could actually achieve a life work balance on a daily basis. I have come to realize that one can not. What this really means is that one week you focus on work and the next on life. Or sometimes a few weeks or months at a time and then a switch. At least for me, it is NOT possible to have it all. Whomever planted that seed into my mind that it was possible (and that may very well have been just myself) wasn't telling the truth! Life is not about finding a balance on a daily basis between life and work. Instead, life is about trying to find a balance that keeps you no more than halfway sane and life one fourth manageable. It seems like such a little goal to get to but in reality it takes all I have to just try and hit those marks some of the time. I don't think it is because I am doing something wrong. Instead, I think it is because this is really all one has time for. You think about all the things that have to be done each week - laundry, kids get to school with clean clothes and a healthy lunch, I get to work with clean clothes (sometimes they were wrinkled), kids get a bath every other day or so, dinner of some variety is eaten each night, teeth brushed and flossed daily, sometimes the dishwasher gets unloaded - and then add in the things that I like to do or need to do for my sanity - exercising, catching up with friends, paying bills, trying to focus on the important things, taking moments for myself - and when you do so you realize that it takes up more time than there are hours in the week IF you also want to sleep! Staying no more than halfway sane and life one fourth manageable is what you are left with. This should be the definition of a Life Work Balance. This is mine and I hope that I am not alone in that feeling. Until later...
-Lawyer by Day and Mommy by Night

No comments: